Thursday, September 18, 2008

Magdeburg, heir bin ich!

Jet-lagged, hungry and unable to use the German keyboard properly, I am writing from Magdeburg! I have been here just a little over two days, but so far I am enamored. The trip was long and mostly uninteresting; however, I did have a couple of moments of panic when 1)My passport renewal was enigmatically delayed and subsequently lost by the USPS 2) I realized I did not have the phone number of the person picking me up at the trainstation and thus could not actually ASK him to do so (solved thanks to Jared!) and 3) on the layover in Paris a number of employees were unable to tell me where to find my cat. Apparently when you fly an animal into Paris it is customary to leave it by itself on the floor of the baggage pick-up hall with absolutely no aplomb. Sophie meowed about this quite a bit, but otherwise mostly just sat and looked at me as though she despised me. Not one person asked to inspect the cat or her documents at any time.

When I had finally dragged my bag and Sophie to our new apartment, she immediately forgave me and now seems thrilled with Magdeburg, purring constantly. Our apartment is amazing, so it is unfortunate that I can only keep it for six weeks. There is a washing machine, dish washer, nice view and even a beautiful newly tiled bathroom complete with tub. I did run into a small snag this afternoon though, when as predicted I had trouble buying the right products to actually use these machines. I found what appeared to be dish soap, but the bottle said "do not wash children's hands in this" so I did not buy it, and also I could not remember the word for soap or for laundry and thus gave up quickly on finding laundry soap. The apartment is also within walking distance of a mall, lots of cafes, a bakery, and pretty much everything I could ask for. Even the internet "club" I am sitting in right now is only a few blocks away. 

Tomorrow I will sit in with the class for the first time and also visit the zoo itself. I have seen the school, but not when children were there, and have not seen any of the zoo at all, so that should be exciting. Next week I will be doing a presentation with the boa constrictor for the children and the press have been invited to observe. Apparently our project has been getting good press; of course I cannot read or understand any of it because it is all in German. 

I have not found a routine yet because I am still not sure of my schedule at all, but to retain a semblance of routine I tried to continue going for my usual run. I did not get lost on my first run, and ironically ran directly and inadvertently to a gym. It was called McFit. No joke. It did not appear to be operated by McDonald's, but would be a great business plan--to run both the horribly fattening fast food joint as well as a the gym... 

Some random observations thus far:

Europeans do TOO wear jeans. A lot. 
Not all Germans speak English, and some who don't are important--bank tellers, bus ticket checkers, etc.
Everyone will respond "just a bit" if you ask whether they speak English, even if they are proficient.
Germans stand too close in line.
There is a drink on the menus here that is half beer and half Sprite.
The University is free, but it costs an annual fee to have a library card.
The manager of the preschool has NEVER eaten peatnut butter!
German keyboards are not the same as American ones and are difficult to use.
Clerks in stores and waiters have no "customer voice" that is extra helpful and friendly like Americans clerks.
Espresso types of coffee will be served with straws.
Non-alcoholic beer has begun to be marketed here and the Germans are justly confused.

For now, Magdeburg is fabulous and I am greatly enjoying my adventure. If I still believe this after my first day on the job tomorrow...we will have to wait and see.

No comments: