Sunday, March 21, 2010

Treats in Tacoma!

I will admit that hearing "gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free" to describe baked goods doesn't exactly conjure images of rich, moist cakes or silky whipped toppings. In fact, it kind of makes me think of grainy, tasteless, crumbly concoctions that are more hippie health food than they are a treat. But my ears prick up whenever I hear "gluten-free, vegan" these days because I'm always on the lookout for something new to try. This weekend I had great success trying Corina Bakery on 6th and Fawcett in Tacoma.

A couple of weeks ago my sister, via a labor of love and a knowledge of things like tapioca flour and quinoa, created some cupcakes that were allergen free (for both of us) and that tasted great. Her husband, who has no allergies and could easily go out and buy a cupcake anywhere even agreed that they were more than edible. She even managed to prepare some kind of coconut icing that was nearly creamy - a feat, as anyone who has tried dairy free baking knows. This opened my mind to the possibility of really good, allergen-free treats. Nothing beats the gourmet cakes from places like Trophy Cupakes or Borracchini in Seattle.

Then last week I attended the type of health and wellness event where vendors gave out samples or lotions or coupons for 10$ off scented candles and acupuncture. When I walked in the first booth I saw displayed four glass cases of tiny cupcakes. The woman behind the table, tattooed and pierced, asked if I'd like to try one. I started to answer, "Oh no, I can't..." and then I read the signs. "Gluten-free/vegan." She smiled, "At our bakery, you CAN!" I ate a chocolate one and took the woman's advice, coming back later to try an orange flavored one. I took her business card and called my sister.

Corina Bakery was easy to find, just around the corner from the Grand theater in Tacoma. Though most of their baked goods can be ordered gluten-, egg-, and dairy- free, they do not make them all this way each day. Instead, they make several options for the day that are allergen-free, so even though we couldn't eat everything in the bakery, we had at least four options, which is way beyond the choices in any other bakery I know of.

The cakes looked and tasted heavenly. I ate the biggest cupcake I've ever seen; it was probably the size of my fist, and it was dense enough that it felt almost heavy. The frosting was thick, rich and creamy with just a hint of citrus flavor and a few pink sprinkles on top. My sister tried a generous slice of the orange dreamcicle cake which was moist and equally delicious. Paired with chai lattes (made with soy milk of course), what could be better on a sunny Saturday afternoon?

No comments: